Monday, March 2, 2009

Product Review: Barney Butter Single Serving Packs


As a teacher, I encounter students with a variety of allergies. One allergy so common, that the item is banned at my school. Our campus is peanut free. When I first started working here, I was DEVASTATED! How could I enjoy my favorite peanut butter, honey and bbq potato chip sandwiches?!?!?!

But as time went on, I began to experiment with various other nut butters. Folks, I am happy to announce that I indeed survived. However, I have one more problem that we explored earlier. I have a nut addiction and sometimes that addiction needs a single serving package.

Unlike nut pieces, it is a bit harder and messier to pack individual servings of nut butters away. I managed to find peanut butter in single serving packages to carry with me when I travel, but what about to keep at school? Enter Barney Butter 90-calorie packages. These single servings are sold in packs of 6 and can only be bought online.

As soon as the package was delivered by UPS, I ripped it open. I attempted to offer a serving to the UPS guy but he was already down the hall and I wasn't going to chase him. The packages are sold for 2.99 a package, but for single servings of a nut butter that can be brought on campus? Priceless.

But how does it taste? Delicious! It is creamy, flavorful, and one serving is actually satisfying! I am impressed with the portability and could imagine packing it with fruit and whole grain crackers for a mid-afternoon snack that is much healthier than the school snack bar.

Will I order this again? Definitely! I also ordered a jar of Barney Butter as well so expect some recipes in the coming weeks!

Ingredients: Almonds, Evaporated Cane Juice, Palm Fruit Oil, Sea Salt
Nutritional Information: 90 calories, 7.5 grams of fat, 1.5 grams of fiber, 3 grams of protein

TIP: When ordering online, order more than a couple of 6 packs to make shipping more reasonable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely give it a try especially because we here love almonds.

Disclaimer:

I get asked by readers if I am being paid to push products. The simple answer is no. In fact, most of the products I write about are ones I have found and purchased during my trips to the grocery store or on the road. Occasionally, a company will send a sample my way and if I believe the product will serve a need for my readers and I would buy the product myself, then I will share it with you. Sometimes I will write to a company after reading about it, if I believe it will help us lead healthier lifestyles. But even then, if the product doesn't pass my scrutiny, it won't make the screen of Uncovering Food. You can trust that every product or recipe posted here has passed through my lips, and that I wouldn't blog about it if it wasn't worthy of you... my favorite readers.